Monday, September 30, 2013

Beauty

If there's one thing that has certainly held true about Japan, it's the observation that everything moves so quickly. People are rushing to trains or scurrying down escalators, all while staring down at their phones or catching a few z's during their commute back home. Everything is fast-paced and it's difficult to keep up.

Back home, I always find myself just doing life as it comes and not paying attention to the beauty around me. Sometimes it takes a trip somewhere to open my eyes to see the wonderful things God has created on this earth, otherwise, I'm stuck thinking about the "next thing" while driving alone in my car (This is partly why I love public transportation, but that's another story for another day).

Yesterday was our first day going out and about in Japan, eating, exploring, and observing. I still felt like everyone was in a hurry but when I finally tried to look beyond that, I found people looking for something and that something turns out to be beauty. Last night after going to Odaiba with Stephen, Soo and the kids to see a gigantic, 3-ish story Gundam statue, we sat and watched the sunset near a bridge. It was so nice after a long day to just sit and enjoy something so beautiful on a Monday; a day that would normally be a work day and I would find myself just eating dinner and sleeping early to prepare for the next day. As we sat and watched, I noticed that people started to gather to watch as well. Maybe it wasn't as big of a deal as I was making it, but to see people start showing up to watch the sunset, to point at it with huge smiles and taking pictures, to see the joy on their faces as they observed the beauty in their own lives, was an incredible experience. 

We all agree that the people in Japan are looking for something. Let's give them something to fall in love with. 

More to come! Thank you for your support.


#nofilter

No comments:

Post a Comment